clara chan. 19. trying to figure things out.
Monday, May 14, 2007
the end of the journey
My journey for choir is done. Ok so maybe the school says otherwise, but to my parents and I, it’s over. Syf is over, so is choir. Come to think of it, ever since I found out that I entered SA via choir and not debate, I’ve been longing for this day to come. Now that it’s here, it’s hard to say goodbye, to an amazing journey.
First of all I must say that I’m really happy that we attained silver. I know in SA where sports reign supreme, this seems like nothing to many. But it means so much to me, simply because I’ve grown from it. Saints chorale went thought a lot. And I mean a hell lot. When I first entered, we just gotten mr tay; someone so new and fresh. And with seniors that equals to ex co, you can’t help but feel so demoralized. I admit, I lost my passion for singing in upper sec, when I saw choir practices as an obligation, and without it, I couldn’t debate. And debating was something I wanted since I was a kid, watching the inter jc debates on tv. I just never told anyone. And they were so much objections going on everywhere, especially choir. But I went on. When I applied to dsa to sa, it was a debate application, not a choir one. So yea imagine the insane stuff I went through. The complete shock and stuff. So I told myself it’s ok, maybe it isn’t so bad. But oh wells. As time went by, I really love the seniors; I had so much fun with them, the dinners and camps and crapping sessions. It was then I said, ok choir maybe not so bad.
But I knew what I wanted, which was council. So I pushed for it. I need to clarify that i did not join council to get out of choir. I knew I couldn’t. during my own council interview I did say if I can’t join council because of the bond, I can complain and all, but I won’t break what I’ve signed. I joined council because I really wanted to serve and be and part of something that allows me to learn more besides singing. The exact same passion was there, the one I had for debate. I knew I had to try no matter what. I know that a lot of people were upset with me but I went for it. And even though it created a mountain of problems, I don’t regret.
But then again, this is about my choir journey not council. I’ll deal with that during stepping down. But I guess all the biasness that came from the choir made me feel so unwanted that I decided to heck it all. But this year is different, with my dearest chans, steffie and nat, I knew that choir was going to be even more fun. And it was! I’m so glad for all the new j1s, for the new friends I made.( shout out to suri, tasia, kenny, rong ming, chin yen, anna and shi ping) They reignited my passion for singing and for once I wanted to be back at choir, so to be with them. On Syf morning, the emotions flowed and I realized that the day I wanted to come so badly, to end my bond with choir was finally here and saying adieu was just so hard. And when all of them left for lunch except me, mel, vonne, shi hui, lydia, elroy, kenneth, zhi cong, sam and cheam, that was the hardest. We became the closest of friends in choir and I don’t want to say bye to them ever. I love you guys. Si min was at bio spa lah! Haha I love her too. I knew at vch we gave it our all, we had absolutely no regrets. So silver it is and it shall be. I’m really glad that we all learnt that it is the process that matters. It was what we have learnt and grow from it that matters and they were all thankful for everything that we’re blessed with.
“Syf is not a competition of choirs, is a competition with yourself.” I really agree with what mr tay said. And I now know that my journey for choir, for syf is over and it has ended the way it should be and the best way, with no regrets. =)
10:48 pm